Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Motorcycles and monks....

Ok Aunt Janet... you neglected to mention riding on the back of a motorcycle sans helmet through the crowded streets of Chiang Mai!! (p.s. I added pics to the previous blog... mae\ke sure to check them out!) Today we were up again at 6am to head into town. I was able to go with Uncle Allan to his school to see how their school day starts. It is 7th grade to 12th grade and there are about 4,000 students. Tomorrow is the Queen's birthday and therefore also Mother's day (no school). Every school day starts with all the kids lining up in the Quad area to sing the national anthem and their school song. The kids are SO obedient! They walk by the teachers and Wai them (bow). It was great to see the opening ceremonies and they also did a longer few songs in honor of the Queen. After that, Aunt Malee's son took me up to Wat Doi Suthep which is a beautiful temple above the hills of Chiang Mai. My camera died so he lent me his... he's really sweet. I walked around the halls and rang the bells that the monks ring :) After that, he showed me around town a bit and we got to see two more temples. We picked Aunt Malee up and went to Baan Tawai which is a local place for arts and crafts. I did lots of shopping! :) After that, Aunt Malee had surprised me with another Thai massage... this was for 2 hours and was only $11. I still can't get over that!!!! The woman was more stronger and I am feeling a bit beat up... relaxed but beat up :) While I was waiting outside for Aunt Malee to come get me, her niece (who is 55 but looks 32!!!) pulls up on a motorcycle and says "come on Sheri, go." She doesn't speak English so I figured arguing with her would be useless. So on I hopped sans helmet and held on for dear life. To be honest, I'm not sure she'd ever driven the thing because we stalled out twice :) Ah... only in Thailand :) We got back to her coffee shop and were both giggling hysterically. We sat around for 2 hours waiting for Uncle Allan to come get us and it was the most fun 2 hours ever. Although I have no idea what they are saying... my goofy, silly, dancing side came out and they were cracking up! Gotta run. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment